Friday, March 25, 2011

Gluten Free for Two weeks

    Ok, I know this isn't a post about being creative or anything cool I found, but a post on my life. Starting today I am starting a gluten free diet for two weeks. There is some speculation as to whether I am gluten intolerant or have a full blown allergy. I have seen my mom go through this process and I am eternally grateful for her example and the trail she has created for me to fallow, as well as my sister and friends Jeff and Brooke Baker who have also gone on this journey. If this was just about losing weight, I wouldn't be doing it. I love bread and pasta way to much to just give it up. Not gonna happen.


So today I went shopping for my two week test and let me tell you, its really hard. When you don't have to think about it you don't realize how much you eat gluten. Trying to create a menu for a week cutting a staple out, is to much. Thankfully I could think back to what my mom eats and pick what I wanted. That saved me lots of time and energy. I am also so thankful for all the substitutions that are available now that five years ago were not even created (most likely).

  I will keep updates going on how this is going and how I feel, and if I can keep it up when school starts. Its just to easy to stop and get a bagel on the way to school. Yikes, I hadn't thought about that one. I'm gonna have to figure that one out as I go. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Here hopping I can stick with it.

1 comment:

  1. You are so fortunate to live in Portland. I was amazed at all of the places that serve gluten free products. The bipartisan had some. I don't think they had bagels, but other yummy things. My suggestion for the day is, buy some quinoa pasta, it tastes and cooks just like regular.

    ReplyDelete